Friday, October 12, 2018

Let's talk food.

How do you accomplish three square meals per day for your student athlete and family when you work full-time?
As painful as it feels on Sunday I cook several meals to carry us through the first part of the week.
My daughter trains 4 hours per day as a Level 10 Junior Olympic Gymnast. Several years ago she began struggling with her health - becoming anemic and often missing school and gym time due to acute illnesses.  I realized her nutrition needed a facelift and made a commitment to ensuring two nutritious meals per day were packed in her bag each morning along with a nutritious breakfast before she left the house for the day.
My commitment to her nutrition made a really big difference in her health as well as her emotional well-being.  She felt better and therefore she was happier.  Her performance improved at school and in the gym.
There are several challenges to preparing meals which can be packed and sent for your athlete as well as taken in by the remainder of the family at alternating intervals.
When everyone is eating in different shifts meal choices become limited.
I intend to share our family's favorite weekday staples along with pregame meals and nutritious snacks which have been tested out on the gymnasts at our gym.
Additionally I highly recommend purchasing an electric pressure cooker/slow cooker as it is possible to cook nutritious meals quickly and easily.  Much to my family's chagrin I call mine the "Wonder Pot" as it has transformed my workload considerably.
If you have a teenage daughter I also recommend cooking in cast iron.  The iron from the cookware leaches into food positively and assists in adding iron to their diet.   An added plus is the delicious flavors arising from a nurtured cast iron pot.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Basic Nutritional Guidelines Based on Mom Research ( I am NOT a nutirtionist!!)

First the disclosures and disclaimers:  I am not a nutritionist nor do I play one on TV.  I am just a Mom with a student athlete and a PT wh...