Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Covid Cooking

 It's been a while since my last post and I've learned a thing or two about making delicious food, fast, with ingredients already in the house.

The last year or so has seen my family home - a lot.  

Like everyone else in lock down, food has been the star of the show and our favorite way to pass the time.

With all this Forced Family Fun,  I've taught my kids many "life skills" in the kitchen.

Since we limited our visits to the grocery store and could not always find everything on our list once there, I kept up with their voracious appetites by inventing new meals with pantry ingredients, garden goodies, and leftovers.   

This is a favorite we call "Josh."

Why?  I don't know.  

We sat down to eat this one pot meal and amongst the oohs and aahs the question was broached.

"What should we call it?"

 My husband said "Josh" and it stuck.

"Josh" is now a frequently requested meal when my eldest is in town for  visit.


How to make "Josh":

Everything is better in cast iron and so this story goes as well.

In a large cast iron chicken fryer or deep dish pan put a few tablespoons of olive oil.

If using frozen veggies sauté them first and then add the fresh veggies once the frozen veggies are soft/unfrozen.

To the pan I add:

Sliced Peppers and sliced onions ( 1 bag of frozen or 1 each if fresh)

1 clove minced garlic

Broccolini or broccoli

Sauté until soft


Add a bulb of sliced fennel.

6 whole garlic cloves lightly smashed 

Peeled and cubed sweet potatoes (depends on how many you are feeding - 3-4 potatoes
?)

Toss with a little more olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onions powder.


Add 2 packages of sweet Italian sausage sliced in 1-1/2 inch hunks.  (If you want less fat use the turkey based Italian sausage)

Place halved plum tomatoes around the perimeter of the dish and sprinkle with a little sea salt.

Top tomatoes with balsamic vinaigrette


Bake in 400 degree oven about an hour.

Top tomatoes with chopped fresh basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Basic Nutritional Guidelines Based on Mom Research ( I am NOT a nutirtionist!!)

First the disclosures and disclaimers:  I am not a nutritionist nor do I play one on TV.  I am just a Mom with a student athlete and a PT wh...